Grotesque Anatomy
Tuesday, September 16, 2003
  JLA/AVENGERS #1 Tops 200K
Newsarama is reporting that retailer orders for JLA/AVENGERS #1 broke the 200K mark. In today's market, that strikes me as a good number for a prestige-format book carrying a $5.95 price tag, but I'm also wondering how many copies of this comic have actually made it into readers' hands. Out of curiously I searched for "JLA/AVENGERS" on eBay and I got back several results for lots offering multiple copies of #1. I'm worried a lot of those numbers might be due to speculators buying copies in bulk, thinking they can sell copies at a profit. Since the first issue was printed by Marvel, perhaps there is some money to be made in gouging fans who missed a copy of #1 at their local shop. But I don't remember reading anywhere that JLA/AVENGERS #1 has sold out at the publisher level, so couldn't on-the-ball retailers still get more copies of the first issue? 
Like Unto A Thing Of Irony!

Iron Fist

by John Jakala

HOME
Main Blog

MORE
DC Solicits for December 2003
Hurry Up, Order, and Wait
Da Goon
You Get What You Pay For
Manga Marches On
The Fantastic Kurt Busiek
Hello World