Grotesque Anatomy
Thursday, May 06, 2004
  Gumshoe Reviews: Dodge's Bullets
Dodge's BulletsDODGE'S BULLETS (Image Comics • 80 B&W Pages • $9.95)  Writer Jay Faerber serves up a nice little slice of crime fiction involving a rough-around-the-edges private investigator who (in typical P.I. fashion) takes on a case that's more than he bargained for.  There are some really nice touches in this OGN that distinguish it from standard crime comics: 
Even when it comes to familiar trappings of the genre (the P.I. meeting the client in his office; the tense rivalry between the P.I. and the police force; etc.), Faerber keeps things fresh by approaching those elements from a new angle.  For example, Dodge's "office" is a cyber-cafe -- for reasons that actually make sense, not just to make the story seem hip and modern.  I especially liked the twist Faerber took on another fixture of the P.I. genre:  the beautiful woman who suddenly shows up at the P.I.'s place.

The art by James Francis is really quite pleasing.  There are times when figures look a bit off, but overall Francis' art is very strong.  When I first saw the sample artwork on Image's site, I was reminded of Jill Thompson's style.  While reading the whole story, I saw a number of other influences in Francis' work as well:  Guy Davis, John Buscema, David Mazzucchelli, David Lapham, even Gene Colan at times.  (More preview artwork from the book is available at James Francis' website.)

I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this book.  If you're looking for a fun, modern take on the private investigator genre, I highly recommend Dodge's Bullets.
 
Like Unto A Thing Of Irony!

Iron Fist

by John Jakala

HOME
Main Blog

MORE
A Pair Of Goons
Demo-licious!
NO! He's -- you DIDN'T! YOU-- Huh? --NO!
DCU Quick Reviews
But Weren't There Two Endings To King Kong vs. God...
Monday Must Mean More Manga Mainstream Marketing
Superhero Scandal Shocker!
It's The Fanboy Circus Underneath The Big GL Tent
He's So Grim He Makes Me Look Upbeat
Miscellaneous Friday Links