Grotesque Anatomy
Friday, July 23, 2004
  Doing My Part To Keep The Identity Crisis Controversy Raging
In case anyone cares, here are my thoughts on Identity Crisis #1 and #2 (reprinted from this monster thread on the Grotesque Rampage forum):

Identity Crisis #1

Thanks to David Welsh, I was finally able to read IDENTITY CRISIS #1 last night. (Thanks, David!)

First reaction: Well, I'm sure glad I didn't blow four bucks on that.

Second thought: Perhaps my perception is tainted by the fact that I've heard all the discussion already, but Jesus Christ was this the most heavy-handed writing job ever in comics? How much more obvious could you have made things? "Let's all reflect on all the death and misery we heroes have suffered, conveniently timed within minutes of Sue Dibny's brutal murder."

Third thought: Good god that Turner cover is ugly. And it doesn't even appear to be properly finished. It looks like the cover to an ashcan edition or something.

Identity Crisis #2

Thanks to Johanna, I was finally able to read Identity Crisis #2.  Perhaps because everything was so much worse in my imagination, the actual comic wasn't as bad as I'd thought.  Don't get me wrong, it was still pretty bad, but it wasn't the atrocity I'd pictured.

Some of the still bad stuff:
Some of the stuff that's mainly troubling from a geeky fanboy perspective:
Some of the not-so-bad stuff:
In all, I thought it was pretty bleh but not as bad as I had built it up to be in my mind.  Still glad I didn't blow four bucks on this (esp. considering it's only a couple pages longer than a standard comic).
 
Like Unto A Thing Of Irony!

Iron Fist

by John Jakala

HOME
Main Blog

MORE
CMX: "We Will Sell No Manga Before Its Time"
Who Lives? Who Dies? Who Cares?
Eat It, Jakala!
This Old House: Special Liebermania Edition!
Overdue One-Line Reviews
"Are Puny Humans Laughing With Hulk Or At Hulk?"
Eat It, CWN!
Identity Crisis Crisis
"And In This Corner, Weighing In At Approximately ...
Marvel Solicitations On Crack