Grotesque Anatomy
Tuesday, November 18, 2003
  Liefeld Watch
Yesterday's LITG has been updated with comments from Rob Liefeld (I'll reproduce Liefeld's comments below, but visit LITG to see the full item in case you don't know what Rob's responding to):
Rob Liefeld chose to comment on this rumour and speculation...

"The update on all my plans, Arcade, Marvel and beyond are as follows, both Genesis and Brigade have fallen victim to talent jockeying, specifically, coloring and inking setbacks. The colorists and inkers I have been working for have become much more popular with the two big pub's following the release of 'Youngblood: Bloodsport' and 'Youngblood: Genesis' and as a result, I have patiently pushed back deadlines in order to accomodate the quality of the work on these titles. I have made no bones about the fact that I would rather have a job I liked than one that is slapped together by interns in order to meet a dealine. I also don't mind pushing back some deadlines in order to accomodate the aspirations of the extremely talented folks around me. Marvel and DC seem to be the only career facelifts worth a lick to young talent and in the long run if it makes folks happier and the work is better than it's a good thing.

"'Youngblood: Bloodsport' is my fault as always as I continue to re-draw pages until they are as good as my meager talents can produce. Unfortunately, my main career earnings for the last half decade have come outside the comic business and as I uphold those commitments it pushes everything back. I fully understand that whether it's a big 100 million movie like Disney's 'The Alamo' or my little 'Bloodsport' projects being shuffled around the schedule, the media has an interest and a right to know the facts behind the decisions that drive the public batty. That said, 'Bloodsport,' 'Genesis' and 'Brigade' are on target for release early in 2004, say around January-February.

"As for any Marvel plans, for now my sole contribution to Marvel is providing 'Cable/Deadpool' covers.

"I am not intimately aware of Marat's commission prices, but if he has cut them in an attempt to generate more interest it is no doubt in direct correlation to his being stiffed by CrossGen after producing issues of 'The First' that are currently on sale. He was hired at San Diego to do a number of fill ins for CrossGen and after failing to receive a single penny for the issue that was released 2 weeks back despite their numerous promises to pay him, I have increased his workload in the hopes to take his mind off of the runaround he is experiencing. He is currently producing 'Brigade' #2 and another top secret project for next year."

As for Arcade, Liefeld tells me, "No chance of bailing and that revolution is still on it's way, look for an exciting partnership coming to a computer hard drive near you in the very near future..."
Rob is "working for" his colorists and inkers?  I suppose, considering past allegations about Liefeld not paying creators who worked on his books, it makes more sense to say he's working for them if that's the only direction money is flowing in.  And I can see why the colorists and inkers would turn to the Big Two, where they're more likely to receive actual payments for their work.

Also, the line "look for an exciting partnership coming to a computer hard drive near you in the very near future" made me mentally equate Arcade Comics with a computer virus.  If he can't get people to buy his comics, Liefeld will just surreptitiously install them on your PC.  So watch out for future spam with the header "Craving More SHAFT???"
 
Like Unto A Thing Of Irony!

Iron Fist

by John Jakala

HOME
Main Blog

MORE
Clogged Pipeline
Embargo Endrun
Because Sean Collins Doesn't Allow Comments
When Comic Book Movies Go Bad
Manga, Sequential Art's Messiah
November Preorders for January 2004 Comics
Manga Stack of Intimidation In The News
More Mainstream Magazine Mentions
The Trickle-Down Manga Theory
Alex Rossenstahl?