Grotesque Anatomy
Wednesday, January 21, 2004
  War!  What Is It Good For?
Sean Collins isn't enthusiastic about the just-announced "War" theme for this year's SPX Anthology, predicting "Not since the Comics Journal's Special Edition on Patriotism will there have been a collection of political cartoons as predictable and inessential as this bad boy."  I can certainly understand Sean's pessimism:  When I first heard about last year's "Travel" theme, I expected to be inundated with grating accounts of alt-cartoonists backpacking through Europe.  However, the actual book turned out to be much better -- and much more diverse -- than I had hoped.  So while I can see how the "War" theme could go horribly wrong, a part of me remains optimistic.

Prediction:  Yes, many people will submit typical anti-war pieces, but hopefully the editors will be able to assemble a package that represents varied viewpoints.  In any event, I'm sure the SPX Anthology will continue to remain one of the best values in comics (usually ten bucks for close to 300 pages), as well as a great introduction to creators many comic fans (myself included) would never have known about otherwise.
 
Like Unto A Thing Of Irony!

Iron Fist

by John Jakala

HOME
Main Blog

MORE
Fan Confused, Threatened by Superhero Comic Lackin...
Because Augie Demanded It!
DC in April Addendum
DC in April
Inconclusive Anatomy
Anemic Bloodstream
A Tale Of Two Publishers
Shonen Jump Sales: Now Divide My Enthusiasm By Two
The Bloodstream Solicitation Watch
Interactive Anatomy