Grotesque Anatomy
Wednesday, February 04, 2004
  Newsarama Asks: WHY IS THERE A COLUMN DISCUSSING MANGA ON THIS SITE????
Wow, look at that -- almost a week went by since I last updated this blog.  I'd like to pretend it was all part of some master plan (wouldja believe I was seeing if the comment threads for the "Why Just Superheroes?"/"Why Not Just Superheroes?" posts would break 50 comments if I just let them sit there at the top of the blog?), but really it's just been a combination of me being busier than usual at work and as lazy as usual at home.

So, my apologies for not updating the blog for so long, or at least warning you about the lack of updates.  (In that vein:  Advance Warning -- I may not blog at all next week (project deadline looming) and I definitely won't blog at all the two weeks after that (on vacation).)

There's probably a lot of interesting stuff I've missed or overlooked in the past week, but this caught my eye today:  Newsarama has a column discussing manga!  The first installment of Troy Brownfield's "Your Manga Minute" gives short overviews for three manga -- Dark Angel Vol. 1, Rurouni Kenshin Vol. 1, and Record of Lodoss War: The Lady of Pharis. Of these, I've only read Rurouni Kenshin, which didn't do much for me.  It'll be interesting to see how this feature is received.  I found the information too cursory to be of much use, but perhaps others will get more out of it.  And if nothing else, it's amusing to read the reactions of the mangaphobic Newsarama posters:
Luckily, several posters have joined in to counter the "manga is crap" line of thought.  Is it cynical of me to think that this positive direction can't possibly last for long on Newsarama?
 
Like Unto A Thing Of Irony!

Iron Fist

by John Jakala

HOME
Main Blog

MORE
Readers Answer: Why Not Just Superheroes?
So, No Changes For Power Girl, Then
Ed Asks: Why Just Superheroes?
Corporate-Speak Quote of the Day
"They're My Sister's Comics, I Swear!"
"Nothing Ends...Nothing Ever Ends"
Channeling Your Comments
When The Thoughts Don't Flow
Best Backhanded Compliment of the Day
Ancient Prophecy