Grotesque Anatomy
Tuesday, January 27, 2004
  When The Thoughts Don't Flow
There's a longer post I've been working on, but the words just aren't coming.  So let's look at what others are writing about:

Former mangaphobe Dave Lartigue has gotten over his preconceptions and is now reading (and enjoying) plenty of manga.  He's even started work on his own Manga Stack of Intimidation.  (Hint:  It's more impressive if the manga is actually stacked.  Don't ask me why; it just is.)  Of course, not all manga is wonderful, and Dave runs up against one that he finds damn near incomprehensible.  Despite Dave's claim that I warned him about Trigun, I've never read the manga, so he must have me confused with someone else.  Anyway, I'm glad to see that Dave is reading manga and judging each book by its own relative merits rather than prejudging all manga based on sweeping generalizations.

Dirk Deppey is right:  Jim Henley was on a roll yesterday.  While I'm baffled by his excitement over Bendis' Daredevil, his review of New Frontier contained one of my favorite lines in recent memory:  "That's what carries the Jordan story across the Stupid Threshold and throws it on the Stupid Bed for its Wedding Night of Stupid Bliss."  Go read.  It's a great review, and enough to make me reconsider my thought that maybe I'd pick up this series when it was collected.  (Jason Kimble didn't enjoy New Frontier much either, although for different reasons, mainly clunky narration and uneven story execution.)

Also from Jim Henley:  A suggestion that superhero comics should be seen as "the literature of ethics."
The core question of the superhero story might be phrased as What do we owe other people? The problem is that comics have typically answered the question before they've barely asked it: "With great power must come great responsibility!" Really? Are you sure about that? And how much is "great," anyway? What part of my life can I keep back for myself?
I really like this.  It reminds me of Johanna's contention that superhero comics should be about issues of justice.  I'm wondering if this type of analysis has ever really been applied to superhero comics.  About the only thing that comes to mind is Frank Miller discussing Daredevil's Catholicism, and even there I'm not sure how well ol' Hornhead represents Catholic ethics.  (Now I want to write a comic book series that recasts characters as different ethical schools of thought.  And in classic Marvel style, the heroes will mainly sit around angsting about how to proceed:  The Kantian will try to figure out which maxims he can will into universal laws; the Aristotelian will try to determine the mean in every situation; and the Utilitarian will puzzle over what constitutes the greatest good for the greatest number.  Meanwhile, the Hedonist runs amok!)

Finally, Graeme's linked to an early posting of Marvel's full solicitation copy for April, where it's revealed that, after Morrison leaves, the development of the relationship between Scott Summers and Emma Frost will be entrusted to...Chuck Austen???
 
Like Unto A Thing Of Irony!

Iron Fist

by John Jakala

HOME
Main Blog

MORE
Best Backhanded Compliment of the Day
Ancient Prophecy
Shameless Shilling
Feed Me!
"If It's Truly Essential, They'll Be Willing To Pa...
Riding The Bloodstream Wave
Finding Meaning By Making It
Street Angel Parody Shocker!
Blogging by Bullet Point
"Tell Me About Your Mother, Mr. Wayne."