Grotesque Anatomy
Sunday, May 23, 2004
  Vaguely Creepy Marvel Covers
I realize that these thoughts probably say more about me than the actual covers, but Marvel's latest batch of solicitations included several images that seemed strangely sexual.




I suppose if DD gets caught staring at her breasts, he can just tell her he's blind.



I've heard of guns being phallic substitutes before, but giant cigarette lighters?

Meanwhile, I'm wondering if the fact that Marvel's covers no longer tell stories is causing me to read stories into them.  For example, this team shot makes me think that if the FF is a family, it's a disturbingly incestuous one:



For shame, Ben:  She's your best friend's wife and you try to cop a feel.



And I think Reed noticed:



Maybe this will lead to a very special issue of Fantastic Four where Sue files a sexual harassment claim against Ben:  "This Man...This Monster!"
 
Like Unto A Thing Of Irony!

Iron Fist

by John Jakala

HOME
Main Blog

MORE
Demonstratively Good
Waiting So Long
Review Reaction Reflection (Part 1)
Spring Cleaning, Spring Reading
Blogger Ate The Issue of Night Nurse I'd Written, ...
Who Knew It Was So Easy To Cheat Death?
Entertainment Weekly Loves Comics
A Marvel U Review: Fantastic Four #512
Gumshoe Reviews: Dodge's Bullets
A Pair Of Goons