Grotesque Anatomy
Tuesday, October 21, 2003
  DC's New Year's Resolution: Stay The Course
DC's solicitations for January 2004 are up.  Not much that excites me.  New Frontier and Superman: Secret Identity were projects that sounded interesting when they were first announced (which seems like years ago), but now I'm thinking that I'll (all together now) "wait for the trade."  About the only new project that catches my eye is the Vertigo romance mini-series, My Faith In Frankie.  In terms of my usual stuff, the 200th issue of Wonder Woman sounds nice:  I'm enjoying Greg Rucka's run so far, and I like that DC is working in a couple shorter tales reflecting the history of the character.  And the description for H-E-R-O #12 sounds promising, but I also realize that it could easily devolve into an exercise in the very exploitative trends it claims to be parodying ("This manly man is now an electrifying, beautiful babe, complete with a revealing costume and the figure to fill it.").

In terms of stuff I used to get, I certainly picked the right time to drop JSA:
Writer Geoff Johns has thrilled fans and critics alike with his groundbreaking work on JSA (featuring art by Don Kramer & Keith Champagne) and HAWKMAN (featuring art by Rags Morales & Michael Bair), mixing the high adventure of classic comics with a modern cutting edge. Now, these two titles come together to shake these hallowed characters to their very core in a 6-part weekly crossover running through JSA #56-58 and HAWKMAN #23-#25: “Black Reign!”
A six-part weekly crossover with Hawkman?  Ugh.  So glad I decided to drop JSA with this month's order.

And, damn, Tomer Hanuka can design a cover:

Midnight Mass
 
Like Unto A Thing Of Irony!

Iron Fist

by John Jakala

HOME
Main Blog

MORE
Are Zombies The New Ninjas Monkeys Pirates?
First-Ever AC/GA Crossover!
Things Looking Grimmer, But In A Good Way
What, CrossGen Worry?
October Preorders for December Comics
BIG CONTEST Ends, small contest Begins
Jess Lemon Reviews WATCHMEN
JLA/AVENGERS Breaks 200K - Again!
Buy SLEEPER!
Previews Review for Today, 10/15