Grotesque Anatomy
Wednesday, May 26, 2004
  Manga, Manga, Manga!
As usual, lots of manga news floating around.  Here's some of the stuff that caught my eye:

Christopher Butcher reports on the overwhelming popularity of manga at Anime North, an anime fan convention in Toronto.  It's interesting reading how the table Chris was working was so swamped that Chris was literally turning people away so that he could re-stock sold out merchandise.  As Chris points out, 2004 is surely a time to stay in the manga business, not get out as some people have suggested.

In other con news, Augie De Blieck Jr. reports on Tokyopop's presence at Wizard World East.  I'm just going to reproduce the relevant sections verbatim:

TokyoPop set up a little reading library with bean bags, chairs, and sample issues to read through.

The few times I passed by the TokyoPop booth, it [the male/female ratio] seems to be about 80/20 in favor of the women hanging around.
In my mind, this reinforces that Tokyopop is aggressively courting (1) actual readers and (2) non-traditional comic readers.  Good to hear.

Also reporting from Wizard World East, Heidi MacDonald mentions that Tokyopop (who took over CrossGen's old booth) was doing portfolio reviews and handing out samplers to "an enthusiastic but not overwhelming crowd."

Finally, Kevin Melrose points out that two of my hometown papers, the Star Tribune and the Pioneer Press, have both profiled Twin Citian Tania del Rio, who is handling the manga-esque revamp of Archie Comics' Sabrina the Teenage Witch.  I preordered the issue where the new direction starts and I'm looking forward to reading it.  Afterwards, I'll probably pass it along to my niece, who enjoys Shonen Jump and Alison Dare.  I'll be curious to see what she thinks of it.
 
Like Unto A Thing Of Irony!

Iron Fist

by John Jakala

HOME
Main Blog

MORE
Marvel, Manga, and Moore
Vaguely Creepy Marvel Covers
Demonstratively Good
Waiting So Long
Review Reaction Reflection (Part 1)
Spring Cleaning, Spring Reading
Blogger Ate The Issue of Night Nurse I'd Written, ...
Who Knew It Was So Easy To Cheat Death?
Entertainment Weekly Loves Comics
A Marvel U Review: Fantastic Four #512