Grotesque Anatomy
Friday, June 25, 2004
  Re-examining The Classics
The V reconsider some of the supposed comic book classics:
Animal Man, what a load of rubbish. "Look, a picture of a hand holding a paintbrush! SIGNIFICANT!"

What fucks me off is MIRACLEMAN! "Oooh, look at me, I'm Superman, but I'm God, too!" - oh, how fucking clever. And oo, a Nietzsche quote, fucking get you, Alan Moore.

Don't forget Sandman! What a load of old tripe! "Have you read any books? Not as many as me! Where're my Sisters of Mercy albums?"

FROM HELL - "Whhoooaaaaaaaah, BUILDINGS ARE INTERESTING! And look as I TELL YOU A STORY YOU ALREADY KNOW!" YAWN.

FLEX MENTALLO - "Ooo, look at my gay knickers! And now some shit about a rock star for completely no reason!" And all the superheroes were shit! I don't want to read about Morrison's wank-fantasies!

Look at Jimmy Corrigan - "Oh, woe, I'm a fat depressed bloke, isn't my life terribly meaningful?" No, and your comic's rubbish! It's all tiny boxes! If I wanted tiny boxes, I'd buy a Kellogg's Variety Pack!

The Dark Knight Returns? Ooooh - it's a guy dressed up as a fucking bat. I'm sure we're all petrified.

It's all such complete crap! "I'm Akira, look at me! I'm so fucking Japanese!" Putting a million explosions in your story instead of a story that makes sense should be illegal!
The only book that seems to hold up is that unassailable classic, ZERO HOUR:  "Comics were gash before ZERO HOUR!"
 
Like Unto A Thing Of Irony!

Iron Fist

by John Jakala

HOME
Main Blog

MORE
Street Angel Squid Contest: Final Day!
A Look Back At Bargains
Only Two Days Left!
WorldWatchMen
"If This Be My Destiny!"
Details on DC's CMX Manga Imprint
"Lo, There Shall Come...A Manhunter!!"
Howling Over Howling Curmudgeons
Monday Miscellany
All Naked Rob Liefeld Captain America, All The Time